What a way to start the week with some very insightful and thought-provoking Cyber Safety sessions across the school. Year Five were privileged to hear from Tracy Porter an expert in many areas of cyber safety. She made everyone think, teachers included about how insecure images, videos and messages are on various apps and social media sites.
Some important pointers we all took away from the session were:
– Download and use age appropriate apps.
– When downloading a new app, head strait to settings and change to ‘friends only’ ensuring it is the most ‘private’ it can be.
– Turn location settings off when sending messages, videos or images on social media.
– Talking and sharing online with only people you know in person.
– Accepting a ‘friend’ request if that person meets the definition of a real life friend.
– Sexting is illegal for all people involved who are under 18 years old.
Someone to Talk to and Always Remain Safe
-Someone important to me
-Something important to tell you
-Please listen and help me
Telling an adult (teacher, parent or carer) if something is not right, such as;
– If an unknown person requests to ‘friend’, contact us or personal details.
– Someone we know/don’t know is sending or requesting inappropriate images
– Something is just not right
– If Nanna would not like to see or read it, should you really post/send it?
Finally we all took home the all-important message of:
If you write it, record it or capture it in a picture and post it, send it or save it- then it is FOREVER.
When the internet is used safely it can be a fun and fantastic learning tool.
With a very short turn around between the LPS Athletics Day and District Athletics next Tuesday 26th August, students are very busy training for their events. We wish all those involved the best of luck.
Passport Night- Wednesday 27th August
How does your child spend the day at LPS? Come and find out, collect a passport on the night and choose your sessions. Educational sessions will be run covering topics such as multiplication, homework, time management, study habits and parental support, school planning documents, team planning and AusVELS, Digital Excellence Awards (DEA), Cyber Safety, PE (Ball catching manipulation and connection to curriculum,) Science and even how to use BPay.
50th Birthday celebrations- Saturday 30th August 11:00am-3:00pm
Come on down and celebrate! Make sure you have a look at the AMAZING mural at the front of the school. The hours of work, dedication and careful work by the Year Fives has certainly paid off- three beautiful mosaics now hang at the front of the school.
Remember to return your raffle tickets, cook book and paver orders ASAP.
Father’s Day Breakfast- Friday September 5th
Remember to return those order forms full of yummy food!